· Food accounts for a third of all solid waste in Hong Kong
· 3,200 tonnes of food are sent to landfill every day, that is 120 double decker buses
· The volume of food waste has doubled in the last 5 years
· The remaining capacities of Hong Kong’s three landfills will be exhaust
· Supermarkets dispose 29 tonnes of edible food per day
· Compared with Taiwan and Korea, the food waste in Hong Kong reached 20 to 30% higher. The weight reached 0.47kg while 0.34kg and 0.3kg in Taiwan and Korea respectively.
Source: Environmental Protection Department, MingPao, Feeding HK, Friends of the Earth (HK)
Image of flag: via CC | public-domain-image.com (HK) (TW) (South Korea) , Feeding HK