– 50% of the world’s population lives in cities.
– 800 million people are involved in urban agriculture world-wide and contribute to feeding urban residents.
– Low income urban dwellers spend between 40% and 60% of their income on food each year.
– By 2015 about 26 cities in the world are expected to have a population of 10 million or more. – To feed a city of this size at least 6,000 tonnes (6,600 tons) of food must be imported each day.
– 250 million hungry people in the world live in cities
Watch video below, a sharing by Urban farmer Roman Gaus during TEDxZurich, talking about how Urban Farming could be a solution.